09/11/2011

cell phone photo dump

I must stop being estranged.

I spent the last weekend in London. I was nice. The intention of the trip was to see Tacita Dean's FILM and the Gerhard Richter's panorama at the Tate Modern. I wasn't as interested in the actual film itself as to rather what it stands for. Regardless, it still felt wholly important to see it play.
Richter's exhibition was fantastic. Throughout my time at art school he has been one of my biggest influences. Seeing his paintings in the flesh was an experience I can best liken to as coming face-to-face with your celebrity crush. I was particularly taken back by his photopaintings from the 1960s. Seeing them up close, the detail of the brushstrokes made them seem all the more painterly. Tactile. More object and less image.

The rest of the weekend was spent catching up with friends and seeing some of the sights. London has already gotten into the Christmas spirit. The grounds of the Natural History Museum were beautiful- all the trees lit up with fairy lights, ice rink, carousel.

I also had a very lovely Halloween weekend but that seems all so distant now.


No comments:

Post a Comment